Charles Dupois: International recording artist loses appeals over claims stalking charges are ‘conspiracy’

Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url


An international recording artist and television star accused of stalking a woman has spectacularly claimed the charges against him are a “conspiracy” in his bid to halt court proceedings.

Charles Dupois’ two “scandalous” appeals were thrown out by a judge in Brisbane on Monday, with a Court of Appeal judgment excoriating him for making “baseless assertions of judicial corruption” which only served to “obscure” his cause.

His bizarre claims included allegations orders were made against him to “conceal the truth from being exposed in the public forum before a judge and jury”, while making unfounded criminal allegations against sitting magistrates and accusing another of demonstrating “bias”.

Mr Dupois’ assertions were excoriated in the judgment as being “prolix, argumentative and scandalous.”

“The degree of noncompliance (for both appeals) is obvious, extensive and intolerable,” the judgment read.

“The prolixity serves to obscure any real issues and hampers the respondents and the court in identifying the issues and determining the appeal on properly raised grounds.”

Mr Dupois is facing charges of unlawful stalking and assault occasioning bodily harm on an indictment presented in May last year.

He is yet to enter a plea to the charges, which will be mentioned at court in March.

An earlier attempt to have the proceedings permanently stayed in the Magistrates Court was refused.

In new filings before the Court of Appeal in Brisbane, Mr Dupois asked for the decision on his stay application to be overturned due to “errors of law and fact”.

He also asked the court to overturn a separate decision to refuse an application for directions ahead of his listed trial last year, as well as a Magistrates Court decision to commit Mr Dupois to stand trial.

Mr Dupois, a renowned recording artist who was appointed a World Peace Ambassador in 2008, was not in court on Monday when his appeals were dismissed.

In his published reasons, Court of Appeal Justice Philip Morrison said Mr Dupois had not taken any steps to file an outline on his submissions in both matters.

He said there was an “undoubted” delay and questioned the relevance of Mr Dupois’ reference to his medical conditions.

“The appellant has resisted providing some or all of the medical reports to the respondents, with the consequence that this court cannot take them into account,” the judgment read.
“As was pointed out to the appellant during the course of the hearing, the court does not engage in secret conversations with, or receive secret submissions from, one party to the exclusion of the other parties.”
Justice Morrison said both appeals should be struck out for want of prosecution.

He also noted many of Mr Dupois’ appeal grounds made allegations of corruption or conspiracy “without referring to any basis for saying so”.

“Both notices of appeal contain grounds which make little or no sense,” the judgment read.

Legal representatives for the Queensland Police Service and two Queensland magistrates had sought court orders asking for the appeals to be dismissed.

“The appellant (Mr Dupois) has an entrenched method of accusatorial advocacy which consists of characterising every adverse result as being the product of corruption on the part of judicial officers,” the judgment read.

“The appellant has not shown that there is any basis for those allegations.”

In an added blow, Mr Dupois was ordered to pay costs.

According to his website, Mr Dupois is the artist of the peace anthem If We Can Dream and has performed “with the likes of George Benson, Diana Ross, the Stylistics and other showbiz luminaries” through his work.